When a person dies, someone has to deal with their affairs.

If the person who has died has left a will, it will usually name one or more people to act as the executors of the will.  These are the people who will administer the deceased’s estate.    Before the executor can act they will need to obtain the authority of the High Court.  This authority is in the form of an official document called a grant of probate.

If the person has no will (known as dying intestate) the process is more complicated. An application for a grant of letters of administration (an official document, issued by the court, which allows administrators to administer the estate) will need to be made.

The person to whom letters of administration is granted is known as the administrator and they have the legal right to deal with the affairs of the person who has died.  Who can apply to be appointed as the administrator is determined by the law of intestacy which  sets out the order of priority.

To discuss how we can help with an application for probate or letters of administration call us now on 020 8952 0242