Co-habitation agreements

There is no such status in English law as a common-law spouse or partner.

Where unmarried cohabiting couples jointly own their family home the property will be assumed to be owned 50:50 – even if one partner contributed more to its purchase.   In order to ensure that the proceeds of sale are distributed correctly a written legal agreement, known as a Declaration of Trust should be agreed and written at the time of purchase.

The Trust sets out who owns what and in what proportion and lets you document how you will split your property, its contents, personal belongings, savings and other assets should the relationship break down.

For more information on Co-habitations agreements call our team now on 020 8952 0242